Friday, March 29, 2013

Wrapping it Up

Today was one of my favorite days here. We made our way back to Port Au Prince for the flight tomorrow.

We all wound down from the hard work the past couple of days by sitting by the pool and relaxing. Then ordered pizza; which was surprisingly good :) A lot like the pizza in the US.

After lunch we went back to the orphanage. It was a little different of a dynamic at the orphanage this time. Right off the bat the kids and Elysee (the man who has been traveling with us) engaged the children in singing a variety of songs. The afternoon was spent playing different group activities with the kids, one of them consisting of musical chairs and another of hot potato. While we were there, the kids had one of their meals for the day. It was encouraging to see the amount of food they were getting served. For lunch and dinner the children all wait until everyone is served with their food then say a prayer together. I have been so blessed to be part of their life here and to see what is to come for them.

There are no good words to describe the experience at the orphanage. I could only hope that whoever gets the opportunity to do something like this would jump on it in a heart beat. It was so difficult to leave the kids today but was very encouraging to know what is in their future. I only wish that I had the privilege to be here when the kids move to the new orphanage. They are so happy and joy filled as it is that I know it would be a touching experience to see them playing in the yard and the smiles on their faces.

One of the things I have taken from this trip that I was not anticipating was the amount of faith the Haitians have. Everywhere you drive around town there are phrases like "Thank you Jesus" and Elysee, the children, and many of the Haitians all share the same love for God. One day on the work site a man from Spencer, we had been working with, went up to one of the Haitian workers and said "you are the best Jerry!" and the man immediately responded by saying "No God is the best." This wasn't the first time that someone had responded in that way. They give recognition to God for everything which in some sense surprised me because of the environment they are living in. Everyone is so hope filled and joyous, it truly is contagious.

I only wish that you all could experience a fraction of what I have here. I know being back in the US will be difficult just because of the many differences we have in cultures but I am excited to get back and share my photos and videos with you all.

BVU Beavers!

No comments:

Post a Comment